The Norman Family of Surry / Yadkin County, NC
(1) James Norman b.1813 in Surry Co (S-Div) Present day Yadkin Co. Death before the 1860 census unknown. James married Patience Donner (Danner) b. 1815 Surry Co (Married March 8, 1830) The daughter of Peter Danner b. Nov. 11, 1783 d. May 1, 1877 s/o Frederick Danner b. 1759 d. August 14, 1839 (Peter served in the War of 1812) It's said he came home with most of his toes frozen off. .His brother Jacob Danner signed the marriage certificate, because Peter had moved to Watauga Co (Listed in the 1830 Ashe Co Census) .. It is documented that part of the Danner / Donner family arrive in America from Schaffhausen, Switzerland on the ship "Patience and Margaret". The Norman / Danner line crosses many times.
Several Danner 's and Norman's are burried at the Courtney Cemetery, Yadkin Co. NC
Known Children of Peter Danner M1 (Catherine) M2 (Susannah)
Catherine b 1808, Mary (ca1809) ,Patience b.1815, Frederick b 1813-1899. Lucinda b.1818-1863, William Lafayette b.1819-1885,#note Children by second wife Susannah Rebecca b. 1827, John b.1828, William R. b1.832, Martha Jane b.1835
The children of James Norman and Patience Danner
All listed in the 1850 Surry Co. NC census
(2) Christina Norman b.1831 Surry Co. NC
(2) William Norman b.1832 Surry Co. NC Co. B 21st reg CSA d.9-27-1861 KIA
- Enlisted into B Company, 21st Infantry (North Carolina) on May 12 1861
- Died while serving in 21st Infantry (North Carolina) on Sep 27 1861
(2) Alexander Norman b. 1836 Surry Co. NC "May be the Alexander Norman in Hopkinsville KY 1870 census (Not confirmed)"
(2) Milly P Norman b. August 31,1838 d. December 27, 1922- Surry Co. NC -M- J. Henry Plowman (Married 11-14-1861) Enlisted 11-30-1863 Co G 18 Reg 8th NC VOL. Burial Plowman Cemetery. Listed below are the known children . (1880 Census)
(3) Sarah A Plowman b. 1863 Liberty, Yadkin Co -M- Benjamin F Stewart (July 21, 1881)
(3) John H Plowman jr b. 1867-M- (Jan. 6, 1887) A. Cranfill
(3) Lundie G Plowman b. August 15,1868 d.Jan. 4, 1944 -M- Mary Daisy Allgood
(3) Rachael F Plowman b. 1871 -M- (May 26, 1889) James Bolin b. 1864 s/o William and Bolinda Bolin
(3) Shilinealy Plowman b. 1873 Liberty, Yadkin Co
(3) Milly J Plowman b. 1875 Liberty, Yadkin Co -M- David R Wells b. 1873 d. Jan. 1, 1941 s/o John and Rosa Miller Wells
(3) Charles B Plowman b. 1879 Liberty, Yadkin Co -M- (Dec. 22, 1898) Sallie Melton b.1876 d/o John & Elizabeth Melton
(2) Frederick Norman b. 1840 Surry Co. NC -M- Nancy Dinkins b 1844 (Married 11-15-1861) Co. B 38th regiment. CSA under Lt. Col Robert F Armfield He was listed at Camp Holmes 7-30-1864. Moved to Waverly, Lincoln, Missouri. Below are listed the known children in the 1880 census
(3) Ruth Norman b.1862 NC
(3) William Norman b.1865 NC
(3) Elizabeth Norman b.1866 NC
(3) Mahala Norman b.1869 MO -M- John Lightfoot b.1863 (Jan. 11, 1891) Arkansas Co
(3) Fred Norman b.1874 MO
(3) Walter Norman b.Jan 1875 MO He is listed in the 1900 Census Waverly Township Lincoln MO
(3) John F Norman b.1878 MO
(3) Maggie Norman b. December 1879 MO
(2) Sarah Norman b. 2-4-1843 Surry Co. NC d. 6-2-1898 -m-(11-1-1860) William A. Peoples b.1838 d. 12-1902 Burial in Courtney cemetery. Children listed in the 1880 census Liberty, Yadkin Co NC
(3) Martha Peoples b.1862 -M- (Oct 11, 1887) N.A. Grass b. 1867
(3) James W Peoples b.1864 -M- (June 20, 1889) Retta J Allgood b. 1871 d/o Isaac and Sally Allgood
(3) Sarah jane Peoples b 1866 -M- C.R. Spry b 1863 (September 20, 1885) Son of Richard and Nancy Spry
(3) Nathan B Peoples b. Jan.15, 1870 d. Nov 4, 1941 Davie Co. NC -M- Mary Hutchens
(3) Bettie Peoples b.1871 -M- (Nov. 13, 1891) Moore Co NC Jas Cassady b. 1869
(3) Tandy peoples b.1872 -M- Mary Grace (July 17, 1898) d/o Isaac and Amanda Grace (Not Doc.)
(3) Patience A. Peoples b.1874
(3) Pheby B. Peoples b.1877 d. December 3, 1948 "Known as Susie"
(3) George G. Peoples b.1879
(2) Frank Norman b. 1844 Surry Co. NC
(2) Isaac Norman b. 1846 Surry Co. NC
(2) John Henry Norman b.1848 Surry Co. NC he married Elvina (Melvina) Danner b.1853 d Nov. 6, 1918 both names are listed in official documents, but it is the same person. She is the daughter of Thomas Danner b.1821 and Mary Howell b.1824. Thomas Danner is the son of Adam Danner b.1793
John and Elvina had the following known children. (1880 Liberty Yadkin Co NC Census)
(3) John Henry Norman b. Nov 14, 1881 d. Oct. 20, 1944 -M- Minnie Layman b. April 27, 1894 Patrick Co VA d September 25, 1956 Burial Courtney Cemetery d/o Thomas and Dollie Layman...Children Ruby Norman b.11-2 1919 d.6 1920 7m 4d Roy A. Norman b. March 24, 1922 d. Oct. 1, 1943 Served in the Navy TEC 3 KIA WWII.
(3) James Monroe Norman b. 5-17-1877 Yadkin Co. NC d. 3-12-1952 Courtney, Yadkin Co, NC (B: Courtney Baptist Church)
(3) Lular Norman b. 1880 Courtney, Yadkin Co, NC
James married (M-8-19-1900) Yadkin Co. NC
Mary Catherine Azmon b.12-27-1884 d.5-16-1966
The daughter of Benjamin B. Azmon b. 1842 d.6-30-1908 and
R. Carrie Azmon b.5-15-1885 d.6-16-1903
All burried in the Courtney Baptist Church cemetery.
Children of James Monroe Norman and Mary C Azmon
(4) William Howard Norman b.5-8-1909 d. 3-26-1954 Courtney, Yadkin Co, NC -m- (8-15-1931) Alza Young Moser b. 8-26-1913 d. 3-26-1954 D/O Jasper Young Moser b.11-3-1887 d. 5-20-1958 and Effie Annis Key b.12-2-1894 d.9-25-1946 -M-(11-3-1912)
(4) James Albert Norman b.September 19, 1914 Courtney, Yadkin Co, NC d May 3, 1987 Forsyth Co NC -m- (July 4, 1945) Edith V. Joyner b. 3-5-1914 d. 5-3-1987 Alachua Co FL
Children of James Albert Norman and Edith V. Joyner
1.(5) Rebbecca Lynn Norman 2.(5) Janice Marie Norman
(4) Benjamin LLoyd Norman b.September 19, 1922 d October 4, 1993 Guilford Co NC -m- Helen Edwards.....Known children (5)Benjamin L Norman jr, (5)James N Norman b.1953 d.4-30-1978
(4) Estelle Norman b Jan 6, 1907 d. March 30, 1993 -m- Richard Mundy (Moved to Davie Co NC)
(4) Pauline Norman b.7-18-1912 Courtney, Yadkin Co, NC d. 7-27-1912
(4) Herman Glen Norman b. 12-14-1903 d. 11-13-1939 Burial at the Courtney Baptist Church, Yadkin Co, NC
-m- Velvie Sarah Bartlett b. 8-30-1900 VA. d 10-30-1985 Rockingham Co NC. Burial at the Christian Fellowship Church Reidsville NC .She is the daughter of ( William Edwin Bartlett b. 5-12-1864 d 12-11-1937 and Georgia Alice Hill) They lived near Hillsville, VA
(Thomas Gardner Bartlett) Created by: Beth Robinette
children of William Edwin Bartlett and Georgia Alice Hill
Elbert Kenis Bartlett b March 4,1890 d March 25,1947 (Wife Sarah A. Jones) Robert G. Bartlett b 1895 d 1943 (Wife Nora E Newman b1897 d 1941) Velvie Sarah Bartlett b 8-30-1900 (Husband Herman Glen Norman)
. Georgia Alice Hill (Bartlett ) b. May 7, 1870 d. Feb. 27, 1951 Burial Newman Cemetery Carroll Co Va d/o John Robert Hill b 3-16-1848 Grayson Co Va / Martha Jane Corvin b 1848 Wythe, Va
John Robert Hill b. 3-16-1848 d. 4-19-1942 Burial Mount Olivet Cemtery Fries (s/o Robert Hill b.1822 and Sally Robertson )John and Martha Jane Corvin are both listed in the (1880 Census records Grayson Co VA) The following known children are listed: Mlinda, Georgia Alice, James C, Thomas W, (John William Hill b 8-9-1875 married Nannie Isom 12-5-1895), Samuel, Florence, Alexander....All listed in the 1880 Census.
Children of Herman Glen Norman and Velvie Sarah Bartlett
(5) James William Norman b. 2-4-1924 d. 7-12-1944 burial Courtney Baptist Church, Yadkin Co, NC . Enlisted 8-12-1943 FT. BRAGG NC 350 INF 88 DIV. KIA in WWII in Italy.
(5) Beatrice Pauline Norman b. 5-28-1925 -m- John Wesley Gwynn, jr b. Feb. 18, 1919 d. June 29, 2007 Served in the US Army WWII S/o John W. Gywnn and Nova Price
(5) Kerman Glen Norman b. 9-8-1926 Yadkin Co.NC d. 6-3-2006 -m- Dorothy Dull
- (6) Herman Norman
- (6) Barry Norman
(5) Nellie Mae Norman b. 5-16-1928 -m- Charles Davidson
(5) John Frazier Norman b. 11-18-1931 d. 10-20-1990
- (6) Jennifer Norman
(5) Herman Ray Norman b. 2-1-1935
(5) Mary Alice Norman b. 5-11-1936 -m- Grant Hatcher
- (6) Lee Hatcher
- (6) Sara Hatcher
(5) Aurther Allen Norman b. April 30, 1937 Yadkin CO NC d. May 10, 2013
(6) Robert G Norman (6) Richard A Norman
(5) Otis Grey "Pete" Norman b. 5-19-1940 Davie CO. NC d. July 20, 2011 Burial at the Christian Fellowship Church in Reidsville NC (1) Married Brenda Joyce Goode b. 12-25-1942 Pittsylvania Co.VaThe daughter of David Franklin Goode b.3-15-1896 Person Co.Va. d.3-17-1975 Reidsville,NC Bur. Virgilina Cem Va. and m2- Edith Mary Harris d/o Jesse William & Mary Ella (Davis) Harris of South Boston,Va.) b.5-15-1915 Halifax Co.Va. d.5-25-1991 Ruffin,NC. Bur. Virgilina Cem.Va. Otis "Pete" Norman served is the US Army.
Children of Otis "Pete" Norman and Brenda Goode
(6) Otis G. Norman jr b. 10-21-1961 Rockingham Co. NC
(6) James William "Jim" Norman b. 7-31-1965 Rockingham Co. NC
(6) Otis G. Norman jr Changed to (PETE) Patrick Dean Hutchins b. 10-21-1961 Rockingham Co. NC (m-2-14-1990) Pittsylvania Co.Va.Carrie Lynn Gauldin b.9-7-1965 Pittsylvania Co.Va. d/o Loyd & Mary Ketchum Gauldin.
(Pete Served in the U.S. Air Force Reserve)
Children of Pete and Carrie Hutchens.
(7) Patrick Dean Hutchens,Jr. b. 8-11-1993 Rockingham Co. NC
(7) Payton Rose Hutchens b. 3-6-1998 Rockingham Co.NC.
(6) James William "Jim" Norman b. 7-31-1965 Rockingham Co. NC -m- June 1,1985 at the Pleasant View Baptist Church of Eden in Rockingham Co. NC. to Susan Darlene Woods b.5-23-1965 Hampton, VA d/o James E. Woods & Nancy Irene Hall
Children of Jim and Susan Norman.
(7) Justin Keith Norman b. 10-1-1986 Rockingham Co. NC
(7) Matthew Ryan Norman b. 4-20-1990 Rockingham Co. NC -m-Daniel Stophel
Children of Matthew Ryan Norman, and Danielle Stophel
(8) Landon James Norman b. 12-15-2012 Guildford Co NC
If you can provide additional information on this family line...Please contact Jim Norman