The History of Trinity Presbyterian Church
In October, 1859, a group of residents living in the vicinity of Frankford Avenue and Cambria Street met for worship and bible study in a house on Franklin Cemetery Avenue, which is now the corner of Emerald and Elkhart Streets. The Rev. W. R. Work was appointed by the Presbytery to take charge of this district as a missionary field.
In a few weeks a Sunday School was organized and Mr. Albert Flanders was appointed Superintendent. The school grew, and after six months Mr. Robert Allen was elected Superintendent and under his leadership increased in numbers to 150 scholars and 50 teachers.
On May 3, 1861, the church was organized. About this time a church erection was started, but the men were called away to the Civil War, and the work lay dormant until November 19, 1861, after which the work was completed.
The Rev. John Ewing was elected Pastor on December 9, 1863, and was succeeded by Rev. R. A. Brown, Rev. R. B. Parson, Rev. Andrew Lees and Rev. James D. Shanks, who served until September 1, 1892.
The Rev. A. J. Sullivan was installed on October 12, 1893 and served Trinity well. During his pastorate the church had a membership of 350 and the Sunday School a membership of 600. The church indebtedness was paid off and a Sunday School was erected at a cost of $15,000. The cornerstone of this new building was laid in August, 1894.
During Dr. Sullivan's pastorate 600 members were received into the church. Dr. Sullivan died in April, 1902.
The Rev. Robert Wallace was installed as Pastor on April 16, 1903. The membership by this time was 850. After Dr. Wallace resigned in 1921, Dr. I. Sturger Shultz assumed the pastorate on April 1, 1922, and served faithfully until his retirement from the active ministry in 1956, a total of 34 years. During his pastorate two young men entered the ministry.
Our Pastors since then have been Rev. Robert Scott, Interim Pastor; Rev. James W. L. HIlls, Rev. Edward Simpson, Rev. John Gravatt, Rev. Robert Cauffman, Rev. Philip Hughes, Rev. Barbara Hedges-Goettl and our current Pastor, Rev. Thomas Wray.