The purpose of the Solar Samaritans Ministry is to mobilize the Christian men of Somerset First United Methodist Church to provide solar panels for needy families in Somerset County thus giving them long term relief from energy costs.
The Solar Samaritans meet every fourth Saturday in the King's Restaurant meeting room at 7:30 AM for prayer, food, reflection and discussion of our next solar panel installation. Come join us anytime. King's is located at 1180 North Center Avenue, Somerset, PA.
Two families have been supplied with solar panels in 2012. One widow and child in Somerset received four panels on August 25th and a family of four received four panels in Friedens, PA on September 15th. The first family already is realizing a 30% reduction in the electric bill and the second family has seen between 30 to 50% over the last few months even with snow covering the panels. They should benefit greatly from the solar panels over the full period of the solar panel warranty of 25 years. To God be the glory!
We are a registered men's group with the General Commission of United Methodist Men. See our web site at here .
The Western PA Interlink newspaper published a very positive article on January 4, 2013. Go to page 4A of the paper and check it out here.Our next projects include the following.
- The Trustees have engaged the Solar Samaritans to install ten (10) panels on First United Methodist Church on July 27, 2013. This project is underway and will be completed soon after Penelec inspects the installation and give approval. The church will purchase the panels and the money will buy more panels to help the working poor of Somerset County.
- We are talking with the Somerset County Habitat for Humanity Chapter to install four (4) panels on a Habitat House. Date to be announced.
- We are talking with the Somerset County Next Step Center Homeless Shelter to install panels in the fall of 2013 or spring of 2014.
- The Salvation Army Office of Somerset County are going to give us the name of a family in Somerset County that needs a "boost" in order to care for their family. This will be a family whose parents are out of work or disabled and can't work.
- Please pray with us that the Lord Jesus Christ will get the glory and many families will be embraced with the love of God through this ministry. Thanks.