Society for the Promotion of
Wesley/Methodist Studies among Hispanics/Latinas/os
Whereas the interpretation of Wesleyan/Methodist theology, history, worship, and ethics are recognized as integral elements of Christian thought to the theological heirs of the Wesleys;
Whereas there is a dearth of academic publications written by/for Hispanics/Latinas/os in the field of Wesley/Methodist Studies;
Whereas Hispanics/Latinas/os remain an under-represented group working in the field of Wesley/Methodist Studies thus leaving a void in contextual analyses within the academic disciplines;
The following resolutions are made:
1. Resolved, That a network of scholars, clergy and laity shall hereby establish a society for the promotion of Wesley Studies among Hispanics/Latinas/os.
2. Resolved, That the society shall be called “Sociedad Wesleyana” to reflect the nature and mission of the group as Wesleyan and Hispanoparlante.
3. Resolved, That the society shall meet annually for the presentation of papers and to conduct elections, read reports and any other business appropriate for such society.
4. Resolved, That dues and other funds gathered at such meetings shall be used for communications, publications, research grants and any other expenses related to the business of the society.
5. Resolved, That the proceedings of the society will be published and distributed on a timely basis by the method most expedient in time and expense.
6. Resolved, That the officers shall consent to offer mentoring to any student considering graduate studies in the field of Wesley/Methodist studies.
April 3, 2003